Monday, October 4, 2010

The Escape Artist

Take a look at Jenna's new bed....



I was SO not ready for this. Bedtime has always been a bit stressful at our house. We used to rock her to sleep with a bottle of formula/milk, wait til she was good and passed out and then gingerly lay her down, all the while praying she stayed asleep. More recently we have read 3 books in the rocking chair, turned on some soft music, and turned off the lights. She generally points to her crib so we put her in and then leave the room. most of the time she cries for a 1-2 minutes and then is out. So last night I did just that, she stopped crying, so I assumed she was asleep. About 10 minutes later I hear her bedroom door open and she comes running down the hall with a completely smug look on her little face. I put her back in and she climbs right back out, this time nearly dislocating her arms. So out comes the screwdriver, and off comes the front rail. For the next hour, we walk her in put her in bed and leave the room only to have her follow us crying. I tried laying on the floor next to her crib (which I have NO intention of doing on a nightly basis), and she kept jumping out to check on me. She finally petered out around 1015. She slept until 230 at which time she rolled out of bed 3 times. Add to it a rough night with her allergies/asthma, and an incredible thunderstorm and we had a fairly sleepless night. We brought her in our bed (again something I have NO intention of doing again) and we all slept again.
These were taken this morning. She looks pretty happy considering her horrible night of sleep. I mostly took them because she looked so cute in her little outfit, and because when I see this little happy face it makes up for the irritation of last night and the tiredness I feel today.

So looks like I'll be headed to Babies R' Us at lunch for some doorknob cover things. Any other advice is super appreciated. Or at least prayers for a better night tonight.

2 comments:

  1. ahhh, houdini :) I love it.

    Here's the plan:
    Get the door spinners, say goodnight and leave. Guess what? She *will* get out of bed and may even play for a bit, but eventually she'll realize she's tired and find a comfy spot to sleep, which will most likely be her bed :)Once in bed she'll take a few tumbles out, but will have it figured out in no time, that she's supposed to sleep *in* the bed and not on the pillows on the floor.

    How can you resist that super cute smile, though??

    So, how was night two????

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was time. =) She was ready, you were not. That's how it looked around here too. Bed time was much easier than nap time. She stays in her bed at night but at nap time she thinks she should be anywhere else except for her bed. I hope the transition goes well.

    ReplyDelete