Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pat's Update

Since it's been awhile I thought I better spend a little time updating everyone. Pat's had the most going on lately so I figured I would start with him. As I started writing this, I realized it was going to be a very, very long post so I've decided to break it up into a few so no one has to read the whole story all at once. Consequently, I'm going to tell you how it ends first.

Pat has a metabolic condition in which he is unable to metabolize cholesterol properly. Most specifically he has a very low HDL level (the good cholesterol), and an insanely high triglyceride level. The goal for all of us is to have an HDL close to 50 or above. Pat's is around 20. And we all want a triglyceride level under 150. Pat's fluctuates between 600-800. This is a recipe for disaster, and leaves him at a very high risk of heart disease and stroke. What it has done to him so far is caused moderate to severe fatty deposits in his liver, which lead to his spleen enlarging to twice it's normal size. This condition is very treatable and we are extremely relieved and hopeful about the future. This picture was taken July 28, Pat's 30th birthday, when to be honest, I was feeling anything but hopeful.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that Pat is doing well and things have been figured out. How very scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, for answered prayers. God *is* good and he does hear us. Pat is a great example of a man of faith. So glad that you all found the right doctors to treat the real issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we talked about all of this but I'm glad you are going to type it out too. I am not an auditory learner but a visual learner and I will process the info better if I can read it. I know it is tedious to type stuff like this out but it IS appreciated :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. April-
    It might get a little wordy at times so feel free to scan but I sat down to give a little blurb about it and all this emotion just sort of poured out. I think it will be good to get it all out there both for now and for the future. Thanks for the encouragement

    ReplyDelete