Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ferber v. Focker



Ahhh...the sleeping baby is so perfect and so angelic and just so lovely. The process of getting the baby to sleep...not so much. Jenna is a fairly good sleeper at this point. She still fights napping on some days but for the most part she takes 2-3 naps a day that range from 45 minutes - 2 hours in length. At night, she sleeps anywhere from 5-8 hour stretches before waking for a feeding. So I'm sure you are all thinking we should consider ourselves lucky and stop complaining. Our main problem is the process of getting to sleep. When Jenna was about 6 weeks old we started creating a nighttime routine for her. She has a bath, a bottle, and is rocked/ walked/ bounced until she falls asleep. We then put her in her bed and hope for the best. A lot of the time she awakens within 10-15 minutes and cries. We then go back and start the rock/walk/ bounce process over. Sometimes this goes on for 2 hours! I just don't have the patience for that. Plus I don't think we are doing her any favors by not encouraging her to learn some self-soothing techniques. She does use a pacifier at naptime and bedtime, and the blanket at naptime only (SIDs risk). So our pediatrician is recommending the Ferber method. Dr Richard Ferber is the cry-it-out guy. Pat prefers the Focker method...you know from the movie Meet the Fockers, which is the opposite of the Ferber method. He doesn't like her to cry and he would prefer to cuddle and love on her until she falls asleep again. I'm torn. I of course don't enjoy her crying but as I stated I do not have the patience for 2 hours of putting my child to bed. I've been doing some research and have decided that we need to start bedtime earlier, which we started last night. The actual putting her down was beautiful!! But...she woke up around 1230 am thinking it was time to play. Then she woke up at 330 am thinking it was time to play. Finally at 730 am it was time to play. Tonight, I put her down at 700 pm and it was wonderful. It's now 1140 pm and she is still sleeping and my fingers are crossed. But...in case this is not the answer to our problems, I need some opinions. Anyone reading this should feel free to make a comment and give us opinions and/or advice. What worked for you, what didn't work for you, etc. Should we Ferberize or Fockerize??

4 comments:

  1. I am thinking that since she is four months old now it wouldn't hurt to let her cry it out. We did it with our kids. It is hard to take (for the parents) at first, but each night it seems that the baby cries for a little less time. It totally sucks in the beginning but in the end you will be so thankful that you did it. That is just my opinion though...you and Pat should do what makes you feel comfortable. Every baby is so different...as was made very clear to me when RED came along :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna say fockerize, cuz, well that's a fun word to say :)
    You know that we let our kids cry it out, but I don't remember doing that until about 6 months with Ally (since she slept in bed with us) and probably around the same time with Paige. But, having said that, our kids didnt' take 2 hours to be put down. I wouldn't have the patience for that. I think Charlene did the CIO at daycare and her limit was 15 minutes.

    Try letting her cry it out for a few minutes at a time (I always set a timer, because it will feel WAY longer than it really is)

    Ultimately, I'm with April though- whateve advice you get, you have to do what is comforatable for you and Pat.

    Good luck!

    ps. love the new background

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't trust a Focker. Those Fockers don't know what they are doing. She's ready. Tell Pat to put on a Nike sweatband, and "Just Do It."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm not the best person to ask. We Fockerize around here. Sorry. After Aubs last bottle she "rests" with either Dad or I on the couch or in her room until she falls asleep. It usually takes between 30min-1hr. But, she goes down late at 9:30 and then sleeps through the night.

    I think 4 months is a hard age. It might be a bit to early to CIO. We Ferberize at nap time and it just about kills me. She cries for 20mins and then finally gives in. I don't let her scream for more than 15 minutes. I just can't do it. =)

    Really, do what works for you. Every one is different.

    ReplyDelete