Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bye Bye Bottles


So it seems the time has come to ditch the baby bottles. Our pediatrican prefers that bottles disappear at a year, and while I kept that in mind, I figured we'd just see how things play out. Well, I think it's now time, for a few reasons.
  • First of all, our bottles need to be replaced. We used to be really good and wash them all by hand, but inevitably the laziness set in and we started to put them in the dishwasher. Well the darn bottles have sort of melted. Not to the point where they look that bad, just to the point that the collar and nipple no longer fits securely. So, they leak. All the freaking time.

  • Second, Jenna is a rascal. She has never been very easy to feed. At daycare, she hardly drinks her bottles at all, and only will if they let her do it herself in the baby swing (hello...how does that big girl even fit in a baby swing. Ours has been put away for months).

  • Third, she pushes away her nighttime bottle. She wants her binky and to be rocked, and that's it. Since everyone says that's the hardest bottle to get rid of, and she already started the process, we might as well go with it.

So, here's the dilemma. Jenna has been using a sippy cup since about 6 months for water. She has never had anything else out of the sippy cup. When I have tried to put milk in one she took one sip, and handed it back to me. When I tried to put juice in (for constipation), she took one sip and handed it back to me. So, on the recommendation from some other mommy friends, I went out and bought the soft spout sippy cups to use as a transition between bottle and normal sippy. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is going to work. Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh..I wonder if Aubrey would like those sippy cups. She won't take the milk in the cups. Good luck with this transition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll work. Remember, Bri, be the alpha parent! Don't fall for her "Jedi mind tricks." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um....I don't have any advice for the sippy cups (your plan sounsd good) but I DO SEE your PL binder in the background....share, please share!!!!

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am late in chiming in on is topic but if for some reason those cups don't work try giving her milk out of the "take n' toss" cups. DBD would NOT drink milk out of a regular sippy. She would only drink milk out of the take n' toss cups (I can remember one hellish trip back from Sac when we only had a regular sippy. She cried and cried and wouldn't drink her milk). I think since they don't have a restrictor that the flow may be more like a bottle. It's worth a shot if you're having trouble.

    ReplyDelete